Leipzig University recognises outstanding commitment in the supervision of doctoral researchers. Since 2021, the Supervisor Award has been presented every two years for excellent supervision.
Find information on the nomination and award procedure and the awardees here.
Nominations for the Supervisor Award 2023 are open from now until 31 March. Please use our online form below for nominations.
The Supervisor Award
Awarding the Supervisor Award at Leipzig University aims to express appreciation for excellent supervisors, to make high-quality supervision visible and to raise awareness of the topic of "standards of good supervision for doctoral researchers".
One main prize, endowed with €2,000, and up to two recognition prizes, each endowed with €500, are awarded.
The prize money is to be used for the promotion of young researchers and/or for research projects.
- offers excellent methodological and content-related support?
- gives constructive feedback and treats you at eye level as an early career researcher?
- facilitates scientific networking and provides support for publications, conference participation and funding opportunities?
If so, nominate your supervisor for the Supervisor Award for outstanding supervision during your doctorate.
All current doctoral researchers at Leipzig University as well as postdocs and alumni whose doctorate at Leipzig University was completed no more than five years ago are eligible to nominate. Only professors of Leipzig University and postdocs/leaders of junior research groups of Leipzig University who are officially allowed to supervise according to the regulations of the respective faculty can be nominated.
Until 31 March you can submit nominations for the Supervisor Award 2023 via our online form.
Please justify your nomination for the supervisor award of Leipzig University. What inspired you the most, what helped you during your dissertation? Please refer to the criteria for excellent supervision below. You may add examples that emphasise the supervision quality. Your text may be 2000 to 4000 characters long. The selection committee of the award will decide on the basis of all nomination texts.
- concluded a supervision agreement with me, that is being applied by both sides
- provides financing of my research project resp. supports the finding of adequate financing
- is available for questions and help, has sufficient time for supervisory talks
- provides coherent and adequate methodological and subject-specific support
- imparts measures of good scientifc practice (e.g. document results, scrutinise research results critically, honesty, prevent scientific misconduct)
- promotes completion of dissertation within a reasonable timeframe
- supports the exchange with other doctoral researchers e.g. colloquia
- supports (and finances) participation in conferences/summer schools/workshops and qualification offers
- provides networking opportunities with internationally renowned researchers in his/her discipline
- supports publications in journals, proceedings, etc.
- points out academic and non-academic job opportunities